Thursday, April 7, 2011

Argyle Tiered Skirt

This Skirt is a kid sized version of the skirt that I made here.  I haven't yet perfected the magic numbers to make each tier work out, I get a rough idea, and the eye it until it looks right (sorry I can't be more specific).
The fabric is a printed corduroy from JoAnn's, I got it as a remnant piece for like $4, and it just screamed "preppy little tiered skirt".    
I love the movement on it, and the beauty of the tiered skirt is that it is extremely forgiving (My sewing skills are far from perfect ; ) ).
The basic Idea is a top tier (slightly wider than waist size) and then two additional tiers each getting larger, depending on the amount of fullness you want.  The width of each strip is the desired length of the skirt/3.  Make sure to add an extra inch to the top tier (to account for the casing for the waistband).
Start from the bottom up.  Hem the bottom then gather the top of the lowest tier then attach it to the bottom of the next tier.  Repeat the gathering with tier 2 and attach it to the bottom of the top tier.  Make a casing for the elastic waistband, add the elastic - and viola! (Sorry I don't have pictures.  I'm working on being better about taking pictures while I sew...)

No comments: