Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Drop Waist Skirt


I kind of just came up with this one.  I had the idea in my head, and it came out close - but not quite right.  I think it's cute still, but I'll probably keep tweaking until I feel better about it.

I started out by cutting the bottom tier (about double her waist measurement) and the ruffle (3x the bottom tier).  I serged a rolled hem on the tier, and along both edges of the ruffle, then ran a gathering stitch down the middle of the ruffle.

 I gathered the ruffle and attached it to the bottom tier of the skirt.  I'd recommend lots of measuring and pinning here - the ruffle can slip easily (not that I'm speaking from experience or anything ;) ).

 I gathered the top of the bottom tier and attached it to the top tier (her waist measurement + a few inches), then sewed the whole thing into a tube, made a casing and added an elastic waist band.
 

Yeah, tucked in isn't the most flattering look for her cute little root-beer belly.  Still like it though.

No comments: