Tuesday, March 22, 2011

the "Sophie" Skirt and the Grown-up Tiered Skirt

So, we did family pictures a few weeks back. Here is me and my cute girlie:

It wasn't intended, but we both ended up wearing skirts that I made.  It still feels a little funny (clothes are something that I put off sewing for years because they scared me so much.)

First, hers:
This seriously was the result of walking around the fabric store with Melissa until something screamed at me.  What that something ended up being was this kind of polka-dotted tulle.  I matched it with a lining fabric, and was first going to do a take on the tired skirt you'll see in a minute.  That evolved from a few different ideas into this ruffled skirt.  I made a tube, slightly bigger than my girlie's waist, added a rolled hem to the bottom and then sewed the ruffles (strips of gathered tulle - as ruffly as you want) right on to the lining.  In this case I ended the ruffles right below where the waistband would sit, then added a casing and elastic.  I'm not super happy with the waistband, but I know how to make it better for next time.

Now the tiered skirt that I'm wearing :
My initial Dimensions were created using the formula found here.  That was a little too full for my taste though, so I cut down the 2nd and 3rd tiers to make them a little bit more modern and grown-up.  This is one of my favorite skirts now, and is the go-to in my closet (it also looks great with my brown boots ; ) )

And just one more of me and my cute crazies (and another good view of the skirts):
**Thanks to Alexis Merritt (http://alexismerrittphotography.com/) for the great family pictures.  (Go check her out!)


No comments: