Sunday, March 20, 2011

Ava Tie Top Dress (part 1)

The pattern used for this project is the "Ava Tie Top Dress" by Izzy and Ivy Designs.  More info can be found here.

My mom picked this pattern up a while back, and never got around to making it.  So-she passed it on to me, and I sat on it for a while, and finally decided to get up the courage to give it a try.  It incorporates two techniques that I wasn't super comfortable with (shirring, and rolled hem edges), so this is my first "tester" dress.  I had to try it out on some inexpensive fabric before I make it on the expensive stuff (am I the only one who does this?)  Anyway, my tester actually turned out pretty cute, so I have to share.




My resident supermodel was not interested in cooperating yesterday, so you get just the picture of the dress, but I think it comes across okay, even on the hanger.  I altered the design from the original by omitting the pin-tucks at the hem, and adding the ruffle instead (just to tie-in the tie fabric, because they are both pretty bold prints).  

The fabric is from wal-mart (I got it for about $1/yd on a 75% clearance sale).  I had half a yard of each, and have plenty of the stripe left over. That is for a 24 month size, which fits my average sized 2 year old - but not for long.  My next dress will be the size 3-4.

Stay tuned for more, and thanks for stopping by!


No comments: