Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Fabric Hair Flowers

I started seeing these around here and there about a year ago, I thought they were cute,  but probably way to complicated for my "lazy-man" crafting style.  Then I started finding tutorials out there in blog-land, and I got hooked! They are WAY EASY and super fun. Anyway here is a sample of what I've made, with some tips I've learned along the way.

First off - fabrics I've used are Tulle, Organza, and Taffeta. I've tried satin, and it didn't work so hot, but I might give it another try. I think I just wasn't patient enough.  Any good old 100%  polyester fabric that you can melt (not burn) the edges of will work.

With the tulle, I used almost 20 layers for each flower. It's pretty thin, and it takes that many to make it look right.


I had a candle lit, and sitting nearby so I didn't have to keep using my lighter, much easier.  A great use for tea lights.

The layers are just different sized circles that I cut and layered until I got the effect I was looking for

Also, I sewed my layers together instead of gluing. I think it looks nicer.

 My favorite centers are from the Antique Brad set (love them) that I got from Stampin' up.

Can I just say how much I am loving this headband. I took 3 small flowers and glued them onto a $1.95 ForLove21 headband. Super happy with it. (The headband I mean, not so much the picture- but my husband thinks I needed a shot of me wearing it.)

 My cute daughter loves hers too.


photo courtesy of Alexis Merritt

No comments: